border was in a chock state after the death of Thulin and it is
difficult to recapitulate in which order things were decided.
But probably this way. Car production of the AGA car, which from
the beginning was a Belgian construction by the FN company and
the motorcycle already good for production was, I dare say,
decided before death of Thulin. The motorcycle was internally
constructed by Thord Åström and all drawings for the car had been received
AETA had changed and now named to Thulin Works. The company
should work with engines, repairing, production of cars and
motorcycles and also other workshop business. Almost all
personnel had been dismissed in the beginning of 1920 and only
key persons were left. It was 80 persons. The new activities now
started and the number of workers started to increase during
1920. Soon there were 720. The company was not under
threat of bankruptcy even if it had a bad solvency because of to
large production capacity. This crises led to a top in August
1920 and when the bank refused another production loan of 1
million the company made a bankruptcy petition. The main cause
of this was the order from a South American country worth 13
million short before the end of the war. To be able to made this
order in time large sum of money had been invested in tools and
also material to be able to deliver in time. Too much money was
bound in this and when peace was declared the order was
dismissed. If the peace had come just two weeks later AETA had
got half of the order sum. A pity for AETA but happy time for
Europa. The trustee now took over and succeeded to pay all
The large losers were of course Gustaf Dalén
and Thulin's estate. Up to 1922 the company was handled by the
The company was now transformed into a holding company named
TEVE. This continued with the original production of cars,
motorcycles, reparation and general workshop works. There was
also a large joiner's workshop for car bodies. This was under
the leadership of Palle Mellblom, even if car bodies were
transferred to a close company of Palle Mellblom.
1925 the name AB Thulin works was resumed with the same model
of workshop. Cars were produced up to 1927 after about 500 units?
and a few motorcycles. This year two brothers Weietz tock over
and produced a more modern car. This lasted only for 30 cars
before all money was used.
Volvo started car production this year.
This company with financial resources from SKF and others
made the situation for Thulin works bad.
Thulin works existed up to 1947 when the trade boom made it
more solid. SAB Brake regulator which had been established 1916,
in which Thulin was involved, bought Thulin works 1958 and was
developed during 10 years to
Automotive. Today named Faiveley Transport Nordic AB.
1984 the Haldex group was established and transformed
Haldex AB. This is now a world wide company with production
and main office in Landskrona. This company has the ownership of
one Thulin car. See picture.
In Landskrona Palle Mellblom started a joiner's workshop,
still situated in Landskrona with address Enoch Thulin's road.
Mellblom's children continue
with this company.
This is what lastly became of the old AETA. One
international workshop within car industry, based on an
invention with Thulin involved and one large joiner's workshop.
Enoch thinks that it was solved to the best.
Thulin car type A 1920. Owner
Sparreholm car museum. Ref 1, Thulin car at
Svedino car museum. Ref 1, Thulin car at
Malmö Technical museum. Ref 1.
Thulin Typ A 1924 at Technical museum Stockholm. Ref 1, Engine for
Thulin A 1924. Ref 1, Front end Thulin A 1924. Ref 1 Compare with same
type of picture of
Year model 1925. The owner has two Thulin cars. Ref 34, AGA car
Dahlen museum in Stenstorp. Ref 1, One AGA-car as found.
Singalhornet 9/83. Ref 39
About the Haldex Car
This car came into the ownership of Haldex through the following
story. Bo Andersson who is owner of some parts for a Thulin motorcycle was on
a tour in north of Sweden and stopped at Torsångs museum in the landscape of
Dalarna south and near the city of Borlänge in order to ask for
motorcycle parts for his Thulin mc. The Torsång owner had been
interested for old motor vehicles for a long time. If there were any
parts, he should know. He didn't know of any MC parts but there was a Thulin
type A (picture
from veteran car magazine Signalhornet) in the north of Sweden for sale. Bo took this information
back to Haldex Company and they at last succeeded to buy this car. As
you can see on pictures it was thoroughly renovated and is now in a good
stand. Haldex has also built a special trailer in order to be able to
take the car to markets and meetings.
The investments that Thulinverken or Teve as it was called for a time
after bankruptcy was the beginning of bad solvency because of expensive
production tools in order to produce the cars. The bankruptcy estates did
continue the production up to 1927 when Volvo started to deliver their
first, car popular named Jakob. This became the final end.
The car type was bought for Thulinverken through Gustaf Daléns subsidiary
AGA company outside Berlin. The name AGA had noting to do with Swedish
AGA production. The German Works had bought? or stole the car construction from
FN producer in Belgium. Most of the parts of the car was produced in
Sweden except carburetor and electrical equipment which were imported. Thulinverken had also a contract with a reseller for 1000 cars, of these
only 300 were produced. The car got a coach work made of wood. It was
Palle Mellblom who led this work in the beginning. He had knowledge from
the airplane production. The car was for sale with a coach according to
the customer wish. Different
coach works offered can be seen here. The engine had a motor block
casted including the gearbox. As a last effort two Swedish brothers (Weietz) had
constructed a car and Thulinverken helped to produce 13 prototypes and
they were called
type B. This project was canceled when
Volvo announced their car
During WWI the AGA factory had a main
production of machine guns and it was when this production ended that
the FN-car was bought. About 12000
AGA cars where produced before the
factory ceased. The AGA car in picture was found in Finland and renovated by
enthusiast, now placed for ever at
Dahlen museum Stenstorp.
I have got these pictures marked Ref 34 from Haldex - Jonas Benson.
Haldex car.The sun shows that it had got a hardened window on right
side. Ref 34, Open chassie. Ref 34, Frontview. Ref 34.
Engine. Ref 34, carburator side. Filter for carburator was not used. Ref
34, Original imported carburator. Ref 34.
Drivers place with dashboard. Note extra equippment on steering wheel
pipe. Ref 34, The car outside Haldex company. Ref 34.
These two pictures, with necessary permission, scanned from the book
Swedish motorcycle history by Gert Ekström.
They were constructed by Thord Ångström together with Ivar Malmer. The first mc was ready 1920
with 1000 cc. then came one with 570 cc and 1923 the small mc with 350
Thulin MCIII. Ref. 33, Thulin 1000cc. Ref 33, Picture Thulin MCIII 7 hk.
Ref 33. All 3 pics from
museum in Helsingborg.