Torsong info. Ref 1 Motor museum Torsong Sweden
Pictures current 2008, 2010, 2011, 2015
Text and pictures Björn Bellander Created 2010
Back Swedish version Official website
since 060105
Updated
2017-11-29
© Björn Bellander
web counter
web counter
This presentation of motorcycles and cars in Motor-museum Torsong Sweden doesn't show all what's inside. This site is not updated acc. to changes of the museum objects. More information of opening times click on Official website.

Entrê, Antoine, Moto Reve, Wanderer, NSU 1902, NSU 1904, Adler 1906, Hobarth 1919, Ariel 1930, FN 1908, Rex 1929, Bunis 1934, Carolus 1925, Cleveland 1920, AJS 1928, Indian 1922,
Pope Tribune 1904, Adler 1922, Willys Overland 1924, Ford N 1906, Moto Guzzi, Excelsior, ACEVabis 2S 1909, Visitors, Old pictures, Links

Maybe an old tenement soldier's smallholding. Ref. 1.
The motor museum in Torsång is wonderful situated just beside where river Dalälven makes a bend around the community of Torsång. Here Family Örtlund are born and grown up in the area, has hired a little cottage and since 1963 built up this high class MC Museum with old motorcycles which are found around this place and of course if they find an old car from early 20th it is as interesting as a motorcycle.

They have also a collection of old children toys. Everything from railway locomotives and wagons from all years. An old time grocery shop is also built in a corner and the cashier serves for the entrance fee. About 7 older mopeds are also collected, but the main interest is for motorcycles. For the moment, 2010, a sleeve valve motor car of Pope Knight is on the way to be renovated. Earlier a Willys Overland from 1923 was shown, but this car is placed in another place for the moment. One younger family member use it during summer for veteran rallies. I have met him twice on the rally roads.

A museum of this dignity will often get offers from other people who want to make their own museum better. It is told that a German was interested in Wanderer motorcycles wanted to buy the whole museum. He said that for the right price everything may be bought. He learned something new in Torsång.

 

The main age of these exhibits are from 10th to the 20th. The owner, family Örtlund have in their whole life lived in this area and built up their knowledge about old cars and bikes.

Creating a museum can be done in different ways. Several of the bigger museums in Sweden have got their level by buying an older collection. In this way they have no closer connection with their exhibits.

An example of this is when the museum in Simrishamn bought the hole collection from Skokloster in Sweden. The same is valid for Sparreholm and others.

The main builder for this little museum is Erik Örtlund and for help has been his wife Inger. The father for Erik may also has done something in this, because Erik did start with collections as early as 1965.

The Torsång museum has a very modest cost for the visitors. Only 25 Skr. For this price The nice lady, Inger, follows you and can speak in English or German about their old motorcycles and also some owner history. After this you can buy a cup of coffee or tea with a micro waved soft cookie with sugar for 10 Skr.

If the sun shines there will be a nice opportunity to sit down in front of the entrance door and chat about old cycles. If you put your words right and if Erik Örtlund think that it is worth to tell some, you can get to know much of old motorcycles and life in Dalarna.


This bike is an Antoine from Belgium. Ref 1

Antoine 1903 - 1910
This cycle is made by a producer in Belgium. Antoine company was placed in Liege and started 1899. This firm was on duty between 1903 and 1910. The cycle on the picture is one of the first models.


Antoine produced mostly engines which were aimed for their own one cylinder cycle. Later they also produced V-twins and 1905 4 cylinders. They also bought Kelecom engines.
The company also supplied engines to other producers. They also built aircraft and car engines as well as complete units.

The construction engineer was Paul Relekone. He went later to FN.

The engine is taped because it was part of a question in a veteran rally.

MotoReve. Ref 1
Moto Reve 1909
This cycle was sold from Hedemora MC museum to Germany. Later Torsång MC museum paid the owner in Germany for it with special spare parts. As the old owner says, the cycle has come home again.


Wanderer. Ref 1

Wanderer 1914. Ref 1

Info picture. Ref 1There was a reseller in Dalarna for Wanderer motorcycles during the 10th and 20th. This is the cause why the MC museum has several cycles of this mark. They were sold during the years 1902 and 1929.
These cycles started to be manufactured 1903 in Sachsen Germany. Then it had their own engine and the camshaft was placed in front. This camshaft affected two valves placed on the front side of engine. Because of this the inlet pipe became long as it ended on the upper side of inlet valve. Later a two cylinder V-twin sold 1928. I have only seen one another Wanderer in Falköping MC-museum Sweden.

Wanderer built several types of motor vehicles and because of this hade bad control of their economy. After 1930 the factory was taken over by NSU and the quality was raised, notwithstanding Wanderer was assumed to have good quality.

NSU later sold through their license for production to Frantisek Janacek in Czechoslovakai 1927. The main construction for this machine had been done by Alexander Novikoff 1927. The company could not stand the costs and went bankruptcy 1929 and the company was taken over by Janacek.

The production was moved to Czechoslovakai. From the name Janacek and Wanderer a new mark was established JAWA. This cycle hade prop shaft and  steel pressed frame, just like Nimbus and Zündap later. The engine was in one piece with gearbox and had the cylinder lying and pointed forwards. Such a cycle can be seen at Sinsheim motorcycles and Audi museum.

During WWI many cycles was used by the German army. After this was a new 184 cc single cycles was sold and became very popular.

NSU 1902. Ref 1

NSU 1904. Ref 1
 
In the 1930th NSU was the largest manufacturer of motor bikes in Europe. On the other hand this firm started 1900 in the city of Neckarsulm to produce knitting machines and their name was Neckarsulm Strickmachinen.

The name of the bike became first Neckarsulm Fahrradwerke, but it was supposed to be a difficult name for a bike. Instead it was called NSU.  Compare with Yamaha which from the beginning was a company making music instruments and Suzuki which was a textile company. During the period between the wars they designed a motorcycle like a band wagon equipped with Opel engine. This small "motor bikeband car" helped the farmers after the war to save the growth of the year, when all tractors had been taken as war booty by the Russians. See Sinsheim military.

In the beginning NSU started to use Zedel v-twins, but thought they could make a better one themselves. In the 50th NSU was much involved in competitions and record driving. They built special models for this. They also produce a scooter of their own and had licenses for Vespa and Lambretta. In the 60th NSU bought a license to build Wankel engine, developed and produced mc:s and cars for this concept. This was very expensive and was the direct cause for NSU to run into economical problems. VW-Porsche bought the NSU company.

Today the big factory locals, which was not so much damaged during the war, are rebuilt to a nice museum, locals from other companies and living apartments.


Adler 1906. Ref 1

Adler

It is a pity that the mark Adler disappeared from production in the middle of 1950th. Up to WWII the company had a good production of cars, motorcycles and office machines.

This should have been a security for them to manage the competition after the war. But no. First the board failed to modernize the car brand Adler and the production ceased 1948.

The plan was to concentrate on motorcycles and office machines. Soon the motorcycle production had to cooperate with Triumph as the factory became placed in the English Zone and Triumph had taken their latest mc constructions. It was not possible to produce the same cycle both in England and in Germany.

This became the end of a long time production which started already 1899. Now they had only the office production left. This was bought 1960 by the American Litton concern, who then 1978 sold it to Volkswagen. Lastly 1987 Olivetti in Italy bought Adler. When the computerizing came Adler was overtaken by a Holding company.

This kind of selling and reconstructing are normally the end of a company. All these different companies have now taken all free money. In this case there was only the buildings left. They were rebuilt and rented to different companies. That is the way.
About Adler cars see Motortechnica or Svedino car.
Read more about Adler.

Compare, in Sweden, where the buildings of the different companies are sold and then rented the locals for their most profitable rests.


Hobarth 1919. Ref 1

Hobarth 1919
It is easy to think that Hobarth is a MC produced in Australia, when the capital town in Tasmania is named Hobarth.

This cycle comes from England and the company was working between 1901 and 1924. Coventry was an industrial center where many different products were produced.
In the beginning it was bicycles at Hobarth, Bird & Co 1911.

The first motor driven cycle was introduced. The engine was bought from Precision Company. Also ladies models were presented.

After the war small engine cycles were sold with Villiers, Jap or Blackbourne engines. Also frames were delivered to other producers.


Ariel 1930. Ref 1
 A translation of the picture.
Ariel 500 cc DE Luxe OHV 1930
This cycle was bought in Hedemora on the 10th of May 1930, by Gustaf Bonde, blacksmith at Kvarnsveden paper works.
The cycle got registration no W345.
It was used 1930 - 1940 and 1945 - 1951, mainly for transportation between home and his working place at the old mountain in Falun.
Gustaf Bonde was one of the cycle enthusiasts who worked at this company. There he privately constructed and built own engines an cycles. Probably he use the machine works of Kvarnsveden for his purposes, This work took so much time of his ordinary work that he had to stop that's why he must buy a working cycle.
Present owner is Gösta Backlund.

Ariel indo. Ref. 1
Ariel 1902-1970
One of the most successful marks in England. In the beginning of mc history the development went ahead like stepping in stairs.

For Ariel it started with bicycles 1870. At that time James Starley invented the wire spoke wheel. This was a necessary invention for motorcycle progress. Benz used it on his first 3 wheeler 1886. Next step was the invention of rubber tire which hadn't go applicability until 1898. The wire spoke wheel was produce by Starley's company, which later became Ariel. Their first motor bicycle came 1901 as a three wheeler with DeDion engine.

Ariel went of course bankruptcy as all other firms, but was saved by Charles Sangster. He got Ariel on feet again with a 2 stroke motor, 3 geared box and kick start. Charles son Jack took over and continued with Jap engines until a famous designer named Val Page was employed. He brought with him a concept for a four cylinder engine which was called Square four. This type was kept together with twins as far as to the end of 1970 when discontinuing was inevitable in spite of a possibly contract for the English defense.

Ariel got constructions from BSA who had taken it as war booty. With these Ariel made their models Arrow and Leader.

FN Nordstjärnan. Ref 1

Info FN 1908. Ref 1 FN History


FN Motorcycles
 

 

 

 

 

FN 1902-1965
FN was a company which was established just nearby Sarolea in the Belgian town of Herstal.

Here they started to manufacture, what all other firms did, bicycles and motorcycles. The bicycle from FN had the curiosity to be driven by a prop shaft instead of a chain. This bicycle was on the market 1898. The first motorcycle came 1901. It had a 133 cc motor and was driven by a riveted leather strap for "chain". The engine capacity was successively increased from 133, to 188, 300, 347 to a four cylinders engine with 748 cc.

By this reason it was called Type 700. FN is known for its unusual front spring construction which came after the WWI. They had bought it from Switzerland. 1959 they produced their own mopeds with several different names. For ex. the sport model Rocket. Together with Sarolea they designed a type S.

1967 the last moped left the FN production line.


This cycle is back to the owner. Ref 1
Rex with one exhaust. Ref 1

Rex single cylinder cycles. The lower from 1929 equipped with 500 cc engines.

Rex Acme was the English version. It was established by the brothers William and Harold Williamson. They produced first cars in Coventry but went over to MC:s 1904 and used engines from other producers for ex. JAP. Telescope spring was used already 1906. 1908 the cylinder was inclined forwards. As a curious thank you the board fired the brothers 1911 and started to mount their own produced engines. The company ceased production 1933.

For a while there was popular to mount two exhaust pipes from one valve. It was thought shown that this didn't gave the cycle any better qualities. Royal Enfield had also such a model. The owners closed this exhaust pipe and drove with only one muffler.

The name Rex was produced in several European countries like Sweden, Germany, Italy and in England. Here it was called Rex Acme.

Links
Swedish Rex MC

Rex Acme


Bunis 1934-37. Ref 1

Bunis
was a mark which is so rare that you cannot find anything on the internet. Anyway it was a Swedish small workshop who produced own engines to their cycles. Zoom the cycle and study the nice valve arrangement. In the 30th there were lots of black smiths and engine workshops who build their own frame and often used an engine of their own. Some were specialized on only engines. I have found another copy of this very rare mc. In Sparreholm city there is an odds and ends collector named Gråfors Collections. He has another Bunis and also one of the earliest Swedish mc named Blomster (not shown here). See Gråfors collections.


Cleveland MC 1920. Ref 1

Cleveland 1920

This motorcycle was built in Ohio America 1915- 1920.

They started to produce 2-stroke engines which were very light. These had good selling mostly because of price and they were easy to lift up from the mud holes in the road of the time.

Later the frame strengthened and the engine was updated to 270 cc. The cycle got light and the magnet was removed. Battery ignition was introduced.

A few trials with 4 cylinder cycles were done 1926-29. This types was very alike Hendersson and ACE.

The last trial from Clevland was a 350 cc machine before the mark disappeared from the mark.

Links

Cleveland
4 cylinders pictures
 

Carolus. Ref. 1
 
Carolus 1925-1930
There was a small mechanical firm in Enköping Sweden which worked with scales and other things for the food industry. There were the two brothers Gustav and August Karlsson. They needed a complement for their production and as motorcycles were popular they choose that. Through cooperation with a machine shop they got an engine made by Ludwig Widesson in Stockholm. They produced other detail themselves. Sales should be done through a local bike seller in Enköping, Ragnar Carlsson.
Production started 1925, but no more than a hundred cycles were produced. Only 9 were registered 1929. Why this type of cycle were chosen was due to that it was both tax and free from drivers license. Anyway this was changed 1929 and because of that the production ceased. Ragnar Carlsson, the bike seller, also produced the same cycle but with another engine. It was called Ragne. He moved 1934 to Borlänge and changed name to Ragnegård. Here he produced one 98 cc cycle which got the name Range Jr.
Readmore about Carolus in the article by Stig-Åke Fagerström. (In Swedish)

AJS 1928. Ref. 1

AJS info. Ref. 1

AJS 500 1928

The motorcycle which is shown here is made at the end of the original owner's production. It was the family Stevens

1931 A.J Stevens Motorcycle Ltd. Wolverhampton was in economical difficulties and had to sell their company to Colliers & Co in London. This form stood behind the mark Matchless cycles.

But much had happened before this. Already 1874 Joseph Stevens had registered his firm Joseph Stevens & Co. This company was working with screws and other small details made of steel or brass. The qualifications were perfect for this company to take care of the petrol engine in order to produce some sort of vehicle.

The Stevens family had 9 children and also in the former generation there were several heirs. One should also know that at this time a producer of screws had to know much of all sorts of special threads as the Whitford thread standard not official until 1841 and in common use about 1860. Different threads were very important in spinning mills during this time.

The senior son Harry was the boy that should bring the firm working in the direction for vehicles. He bought an engine from America 1894. It was a Michel  one cylinder petrol engine. It was not a good construction when it didn't run well.

This was not accepted by the severe engineer Harry Stevens. The result was that they had to make it better. This work was put in action and 1897 they were ready. The engine gave 1.75 hp.

They understood with the help of such engines power could be transferred to working machines in a garage. Harry saw also the potential to mount them on bicycles and in this was earn money. The high wheels were on the way out and normal cycles were popular. 

Now the brothers started Stevens Motor Manufacturing Co. In their old working place there were an old BSA cycle and in this the mounted the Mitchell engine in order to test their ideas. During the time the delivered the rebuilt engine to Wearwell Cycle Co. Before for this cycle producer they had delivered parts like spokes screws and nuts and other details for their production.
AJS History
A.J. Stevens
AJS Motorcycles
AJS Vintage

This firm was owned by William Clark and he understood on a more expensive product like a cycle with engine than simple cycles. Stevens Motor gott the contract to deliver engines after thet he had seen the BSA cycle.

This new motor bike was called Wearwell-Stevens motor bicycle. It had a mechanical exhaust valve and an automatic inlet valve. From 1902 the engine was improved yearly and Steven wanted of course make one themselves. They also tried to produce a three wheeler 1903.

During the down period in business about 1905 Stevens had to divide the motor company from the screw part just to save it from the up and downs in production. Anyway it went well with both till their largest custom had to be suspended because of improprieties with money.

This was the reason for that Stevens created a new company A.J. Stevens Co Ltd. This became AJS. The production was now running good together with success on the racing tracks. In the end 1930 AJS held 114 world records with AJS cycles.

The Stevens brothers decided to during the second part of 1920th to start with cars and busses. This continued up to 1931 when depression forced them to sell AJS and the motor company to Collier & Sons. Now AJS became a mark within Matchless Motor Cycles. Cars and busses went to Crossley Motors. Stevens Screw Co was still in the hands of Stevens bothers.

At Colliers AJS became the second mark and was only used when racing cycles were merchandised. For this reason the AJS mark disappeared and became only a special cycle.

Collier change it's name to AMC and later in the 70 th it became Norton Villiers. The production changed to  Cross/Scrambler machines and the enthusiast Fluff Brown was their prime driver. His son has then re-created the name AJS in order to sell bothr touring and cross machines.

How did the screw company manage in these hard times? The still living family members Jim and Joan decides 1991 to continue with their Screw Co in small scale and this will continue as far as they decide.


Indian 1922. Arrived to the museum 2015. Ref. 1
 
Indian 1901-1953
There were three mates that came together. Hendee, Hedström and Henshaw. This was the necessary mix of persons to start with engine driven cycles. They wanted to see what such a thing was good for. They got together. Hendee wanted to build, Hedström designing and Henshaw was a helper. The three was happy with the design and started to take orders before it was on wheels. This happened in Springfield 1901. The selling went on good. Perhaps in America in those days everything were able to sell and specially motor vehicles. For a long time they ordered engines from Thor factory,
but soon they realized that there were more money in manufacturing if they had their own engine. This happened 1907 when the V-twin was announced. The development went on and soon the front wheel had a plate spring. The competition team pushed everything forward. Electric starter and also electric light came before WWII. Indian should become the only bike mark that could give Harley Davidsson a match as far as up to 1953. Despite many attempts, with joining of Royale Enfield, Vincent and Matchless, to start again there were not any continued existence. The Indian mark is so loved by people that production of parts has been started for all models. Buying an old Indian is no spare part problem. This Indian is a 1922 model.
Indian 1922. Ref. 1 Indian 1922. Ref. 1

Adler 1922 during renovation. Ref. 1
 
Adler 9/24 1922.
I got the privilege, at my visit 2010, to visit Örtlund's renovation room. Here the were working on an Adler and also one Minerva. The Adler was later ready this year and shown on the road. This car cam from the area of Dalarna. It had been stored for a long time waiting for renovation. I didn't understand how the should be able to get ready the few months left this summer. Any closer information about this car is not available unless the delivery to Sweden was 1922 and produced in Germany 1917.
From the Swedish traffic registry it is found that is is a 9/24 with 22 hp and went into traffic i Sweden 1922. Later information from the museum says that the car is manufactured 1917 and cam to Sweden 1922. According to the Adler book by Werner Oswald it should be the model KL 8/22 with 4 cylinders engine and 24 hp including mechanical water pump. The first six pictures shows the car during renovation/ assembling, while the last 3 during driving 2011. Look specially on the beautiful speedometer which is original. See also the car parked outside the museum in Torsong. Note also the up to date clothes.

Adler history.
It is not so many persons who have started production of cars without giving it their own name. Heinrich Kleyer is onw of the few. May be his name was impossible to put on a car. He choose Adler instead.

Heinrich started a mechanical firm already 1900. It lasted till 1906 when he reorganized the production over to cars only instead of cycles and 3-wheelers. Adler bought engines from DeDion 1901 and produced a 4 wheeler with fully elliptical springs and prop shaft. 1903 the well known engineer Edwin Rumpler started to work at Adler and produced a complicated car equipped with individual springs, but it became only a prototype. Rumpler owned a patent for swing axle and torsion springs.
One popular car became one which was called kleinwagen equipped with V2 engine. Heinrich realized though that a 4 cylinder engine was what to come. As director he was in charge up to 1932. The chassis followed what was popular at the time.

Adler developed several different models and also engines up to 8 cylinders. The most popular cars had torsion springs in rear and transverse leaf springs in front. The engine was mounted with gearbox pointed frontwards and he cooling for the smaller car circulated by thermosiphon circulation. drive on the front wheels. These were named the trump models and constructed by H.G. Röhr. The type of gearbox placement a may be a heritage from Rumpler. Rear drive was Rear drive was introduced 1937 with the Autobahn car. It had a 6 cyl 2.5 l engine giving 50 ps. This type of car had been introduced to Hitler who wanted car suitable for the motor roads. The production of private car ceased 1939. During the war Adler was a sub producer for the military production and many vehicles looked like other  marks.

The production used war prisoners and for this the director was sent to prison after the war. When war was just over all prisoners had to walk to other prisons in Poland.

Trial for new production 1948. This was stopped by Hagemeier who didn't believed in the economy for this. Instead he started with motorcycles, tool machines. MC production ceased 1957. The English Triumph and Adler was merged to one company. The English had as war treaty taken the constructions of the new type of Adler MC.

After this the Adler company was sold several times to Grundig, Litton, Volkswagen and at last to Olivetti before it came into the hands of holding companies. The company was slowly emptied with money and the last production ceased 1998.

A beautifull day, maybe saturday or sumday, you can see this nice and rare Adler parked in front of the museum.


 Willys Overland. It is not placed in the museum today 2010.  Ref 1

Info plate for the Willys car. Ref 1

Several old car marks got birth from a energetic contractor when he bought a car producer which had economical problems. This was the way for Johan Willys who 1908 bought Overland Automotive of Standard Wheel Company.

This company became the next biggest car producer after Ford in America. This went on from 1912 up to 1918. Remember that all production for civilian market went down tremendously when war started. This was not bad for Willys because he earned much money from the military production.

John Willys used all his money to develop his company and products. When he earned much money he had to place them by buying other companies, who had interesting products. He also bought smaller companies who had developed special cars.

In this way he bought several car producers and put his own production of different Willys cars there. Such a place was for Willys Knight produced in Cleveland by Stearns. There were several different car factory here. Here the marked got the sleeve valve car. This type was patented by Knight. Stearn had earlier bought a license for this engine type. This engine characterized by high moment and silent running. It was rather expensive to produce. For this it was sold as a luxury car.

Then some companies were established in Canada  like Russel Cooperation and New Process Gears. Even Maxwell Automotive came under the wings of Willys. All John's companies became now so big that it was reconstructed as a Holding company. All parts became their own economical unit, but free to cooperate.

Duesenberg came also in Willys holding company and also Auburn and Cord.

The main important product was though the 4 cylinder Overland and Whippet. You can find a Whippet at Torsby Car museum. But in the whole the goal was to produce a 6 cylinder engine. The car on the picture is a 4 cylinder Overland Touring from 1923-24. A six cylinder car can be seen at Arvika car museum with the remarkable registration number S 1. I was living i Grums some kms nearby and could often see this car at the end of 1940th. Why remember this, my parents telephone number was number 1.

Links
Willys
Knight engine
Sleeve valve engine picture
Maxwell Automotive

As all companies which grow to fast without a good connection to market and relationship to it's size. Willys Holding started to decline during the end of 1920th. Several companies were sold to get money. Factories were bought by Holding Units and then rented by Willys. Compare the selling of factory buildings in all countries all over the world during 1970 an 80th. Normally these were rented by former owner. For example ABB in Vasteras.

Well how did the 6 cylinder manage? The banks engaged Walter P Chrysler to make everything profitable. He was also like Willys interested to take over investing objects for his own earnings. Specially the 6 cylinder engine which was not ready developed. Of course it was several tours before Willys created his own company. This was later bought by GM with the 6 cylinder Willys engine.

Willys Overland Motor Company was reorganized, 1936, which still was a large producer. They got now together with Ford order to produce the famous JEEP. The construction company Bantam had not the capacity to produce so many units. You can see a Bantam at Sparreholm and Rydaholm museums Sweden. This made that Willys was bought by Kaiser-Frazer together with the license for Jeep.

1955 it was decided that the remaining of the production from Willys with tools should be moved to Brazil where the last cars of the mark Willys were put together. Later models from Willys like Aero were also done here. Ford continued the Brazil Willys adventure since they had bought the rests of Willys Overland. In America the name Willys disappeared when Kaiser was reorganized to Kaiser Jeep Cooperation. Everything ended up when the Chrysler Concern bought Kaiser and put their hands on the Jeep license. Chrysler was for a while Daimler-Chrysler before it was sold and became just Chrysler again.

Today the memory of Willys is hidden in all these sales at Chrysler, which fate in 2010th economical crises is unsure.

A beautifull day, maybe saturday or sumday, you can see this nice and rare Overland park in front of the museum.


Stearns Automotiv
Russel Car Company
Chalmers Automotive

Durant


Ford model N. Ref 1

Ford N Steering system. Ref 1 Ford N rear end. Ref 1 Ford N front end. Ref 1

Ford modell N 1906
The motor museum in Torsång with owner Erik Örtlund is culture preserving of Swedish old cars. This Ford N from 1906 was bought new by a farmer in Dalarna Sweden.

The car was stored since before WWII when the owner stopped using it. It is now given away to Torsång museum. The car has hardly been driven and is never reworked or new painted. Note that the models R, S, N had no running board. All three models were delivered during the same period and had separate colors. N was always painted in maroon. Everybody know that T was black. Responsible for production was Walter Flanders, who started to modernize this model and equipped it with running board and integrated fender wings. The old design was just like children wagons.
The selling increased heavily. Walter had organized the production continuously. For this reason the part deliverers had difficulties to produce part in time. Walter solved these problems. In the same time Ford was planning to start with Model T secretly. After the cost for planning production Flanders was against this so early. This ended with that Flanders stopped working at Ford and started his own car production.

Read more about this on page 5, 6 at Storvik Odds and Ends. The article about Walter Flanders. Only in Swedish

The three car models Ford N, R and S, Flanders and Pope were all very alike because the engineers had close contact and leading man was Flanders. Yet Ford was the badge that survived.

About how Ford started his production.

In Detroit many companies were created inorder to produce cars.

Detroit Wheeler Manufacturing 1904.
Detroit Auto Vehicle Co. 1904.
Detroit Cyclecar Co. 1913 - 14.
Detriot Dearborn 1910 - 11.
Detroit Electric Car Co 1907 - 1942.
Andersson Electric Car Co 1907 - 1942.
Detroiter, Briggs Detroiter Car Co 1912 - 1915.

and

Detroit Vehicle Company 1899 - 1901.
This was the investing company which 1901 was reorganized to Ford Motor Co.

Detroit Vehicle Company is a interesting company as it had to deal with the production of Ford cars. It was activated 1899 as an investing company. It was owned by three persons in Detroit. The mayor
William Maybury, William Murphy, the largest owner of land around Detroit and Senator Thomas W Palmer.

Fords testbil Quadracycle. Ref. 561896 Henry Ford was out testing his Quadracycle and with this car he kept on testing upp to 1899. William Murphy got to know this and hired Henry Ford as engineer at the factory of the investment company in order to produce the coming cars there. Henry Ford accepted this offer in spite of that he had since several years worked at Thomas Edison.
 
A big production program including several models was planed, but this plan was not started. Ford didn't want to give ok until he was satisfied with his car construction.

The stock holders didn't like this and forced the company bankruptcy after 2 years. The name was still Detroit Vehicle Company.

This company became out of money already 1901. Now it became reorganized to Ford Motor Company 1901. Several investers had joined and Ford could continue his development. Will Murphy was one of the persons behind this.

Ford became ready with his evaluation 1903 and this year the production started with the first car.

Ford första bil modell A. Ref. 561903 was also the year when Old Curved Dash came out on the marked an this car had a prize of $1 a pound, which became a total of $650. The investers had seen how Olds both built a factory and succeeded to bring the car out on the market and by all it gave profit.

Ford was parter with Henry Leland who created Cadillac. In the beginning Leland had engines from Ford in model A of Cadillac, just as Olds had. When Ford grew out of his factory Cadillac took over and moved in there.

The reorganizing of Detroit Vehicle was ready 1901 and the new factory got the name Henry Ford Company. Henry became the chief engineer and he had constructed a car for all people and it outclassed all other cars on the market.

Will Murphy was a economist and was responsible for this. All other in the board were Clarence A. Black as president, Albert E.F. White vice president, Lem. W. Bowen secretary. The capital in the company was $60000.

This production was placed at 1343 Cass Avenue, Detroit Mass, and the car was sold for $850 and named Ford model A. Then followed several model names up to N to T. When model T to was to be replaced the letter models started with A, B again and so on.

George Selden med sin patentbil. Ref 56Another problem was that a man George Selden had constructed a car on paper 1879 and also got a patent for this. This situation became a large income source for many lawyers at this time.

Henry Ford solved this in a simple manner when he refused to pay and after a time this patent was declared canceled. But how this happened is a complicated story and was not settled until 1911.

A possible explanation is that Ford kept his foot maneauvred 2 geared planet gearbox. This made that America got two types of drivers licenses, one for Ford and one for the rest of the car badges.


The mew Pope body is made for 2014 season. Ref 1
Pope Tribune 1904

Pope Tribune 1 cyl 1904 frame. Ref 1
 Pope Tribune during renovation before chariot ws ready.

Info  about Pope. Ref 1 Pope was equipped with drive shaft. Ref 1 Pope front end. Ref 1
Pope Tribune 1904

Colonel Albert Pope had during the last battles in the civil US war moved his regiment to Petersburg. In this area there was a well established industry which when war was over just waited for get new orders to work with.

 
Albert decided then to start working with pistols and started production. He was also a so  far-seeing man for the hew popular transport way, the bike.  In the beginning 1878 it was with so called high wheelers. There were several producers who exhibit them at fairs. Albert Pope bought several licenses and he also made a journey to England in order to study the production process.

When he came back he started an active production and sold 1/4 million bikes. He cooperated with Weed sewing machine factory in Hartford. They had competent workers to make small parts which had to be changeable. Pope also introduced ball bearings for all rotating parts. In this way  he was after some in time control over this product. With the exclusive right he started to support cycle clubs and with lobbying for better roads in city centers and environs around the cities. Great amount of bikes of his Columbia were sold.

Albert Pope earned lots of money and he had to invest in new products. It became cars. He also understood that the steel that was used must be improved and started for this a metallurgical lab 1892. For this he got help by Hiram Percy Maxim who became his closest man. Hiram was a great inventor and worked also with radio connections and solving the problems with air planes.

Pope's first car was no good one as it was not equipped with carburetor. The car instead demanded a bad road in order for the petrol to mix up with air in to fire up. As soon as the road was even the engine stopped.

Because of these problems Popes was very interested in electrical cars but it was not his aim. The production was held at bike factory Columbia</a>.
Car production did start around 1904. Just as all other car producers he made several models in different price levels. It was 5 different. The cheapest was
Pope Tribune 1904 equipped with a 2 cylinder motor. After this came Pope Toledo, Pope Hartford  and the odd electrical model Pope Waverly. The last was also produced in a small series in England.
His cars were considered as very trustworthy and carefully built. His cars was soft running and followed the unevenness of the roads primary because of the type of springs. The construction of  the frame of the car was also very soft. Pope was also ahead of Ford to build cars with interchangeable parts.

Pope 1914. Copy from Wikipedia.His costs were though too large for 5 different car models and the company was bankruptcy already 1907. He had some production up to 1914, but at this time Albert Pope was already dead since 1909. The last vehicle was a motorcycle with a V2 engine.
Pope Manufacturing Company


Vabis 2S 1909. Picture from Wikipedia by Lars Göran Lindgren.

Vabis 2S Limousine 1909
This car is on show at Köping museum.

This Vabis is produced by Wagoon Production Company in Södertälje. The car should be exposed at the museum in Torsång.

The name Vabis is formed by a short for Vagnsfabriksaktiebolaget i Södertälje (Swedish). You can read the whole story in the book Scania 100 years. Of course it has an important place at Scania-Vabis production museum. I missed the car there at my visit 2012, but later I saw that the car was temporary on display at Köping Car museum.

This car is rebuild by Erik Örtlund. The Torsång museum owner, but he had let Scania have it on display in Södertälje. For the moment 2012 Köping museum has the car.

The car was from the beginning ordered by Milk Machine Company in Stockholm. The purpose was to used for driving to farmers in order to sell milk machines.

The production of te car took more time than the buyer had agreed. The cause was that the coach work could not be delivered in time. At last the car was delivered 1909.

From now the car was in traffic for 2 years. Then it was sold to traffic company in Bollnäs as a Taxi car for 10 years. During this time 1913 it was sent to Södertälje for reparations. At this time the engine was replace with a new one.

Unfortunately Södertälje Works had a big works fire 1913 and the coach was destroyed and then replace by an open Pheaton type.

Later it was bought by the traffic company owner in Bollnäs in order to renovate it. End of 1920. This work was never fulfilled and the car was stored in 20 boxes and put in a depository.
 
Erik Örtlund got through the first owner's son to buy these boxes in order to rebuild the car 1984. The largest problem was that the original coach had burned 1913.

Erik  had decided that the car must be rebuild with the original type of coach. He had now started his most difficult rebuilding. By help from friends, neighbors and all those clever craftsmen still working in Dalarna. He succeeded to rebuild the car during a 6 years long period.
(More details in the book Scania 100 years)

To get experience for this Erik had earlier rebuilt older motorcycles which now are on display in his museum.

Later Örtlund family have renovated one Adler from 1922. One Pope Tribune, which still is missing the coach, and one Overland. Next work is a Minerva with knight engine. He has also complete parts for a Thulin car, which he found in Värmland.

May be we can see one open Minerva and one Thulin on display in his little nice museum in Torsång. It is possibly to lengthen the house.


Excelsior. Ref. 1

Excelsior GB

This brand, Excelsior, has been developed through the old known way that a business started 1874 producing bikes.

This changed 1896 to assemble motorcycles. Excelsior was early involved in motor bike competitions and is also one of the oldest mc company in England.

1910 they changed their first name Bayliss to Excelsior Motor Company. 1935 they designed a very popular model named Manxman.

 This motorbike was offered with 250cc or 350cc engine. 1940 they designed a mini mc for paratroops.

V2 motor till Hendersson eller Ecselsior. Ref. 1This one was very much discussed if it was of any use or only a troublemaker.


The production of motorbikes ceased 1965 and after that a period of producing spare parts followed.


Henderson/Excelsior USA

William Henderson was one of the brothers whose father was vice President in Winton Motor Car Company.

William got his education here and became interested in motorcycles. His father was not pleased with this because he found that it was no long term money in motorcycles.

Despite this William got money from his father to start his company Henderson & Co. Here he designed his 4 cylinder engine and it was mounted into a mc frame. His father continued with fire lorries.

The production was modest and when his design became known he realized that he needed more money to get the production resources.
Therefore he sold his motorcycle concept to Excelsior in Chicago.

Manxman Wikipedia
Excelsior MC:s

Here William became chief engineer. In the end of 1918 but the brothers got tired on Excelsior and instead started their own firm ACE in Philadelphia.

Here he built a new four cylinder engine. This one was not allowed to have any part alike his old engine.  It was good success and the future looked good.

At Henderson factory worked a Swede, Helmer Pettersson. He should later be well known at Volvo in Sweden during the construction of Volvo PV444.

Unfortunately William died in a motorcycle accident when a car hit him test driving a new cycle 1922. This was very badly timed when a new cycle was on the way to be launched. Now it was shown how important William was for the firm and it was declining.  At last there was nothing more to be done than to sell.

Indian bought the ACE license 1926. The motorcycle was now built under the name of Indian up to 1942.


Moto Guzzi. Ref. 1

Moto Guzzi 1921 -

The name was born 1920 when the Italian designer constructed a 2 cylinders 500 cc machine with overhead camshafts.

Company Moto Guzzi was officially stated 1921. This was the result of the meeting between Giorgio Parodi, Giovanni Ravelli and Carlo Guzzi. In Italy success for bikes are the same as winning in competitions.

This was something that became a sign for Moto Guzzi. The first appearance was not a good one but was forgotten some months later.

Between 1921-1957 Moto Guzzi won 11 Tourist Trophies and 14 world championships and for this Moto Guzzi became well known all over the world.

Guzzi produced not only lots of fantastic competition bikes, but even bikes to earn money on, as scooters, mopeds and ordinary bikes for the people.

Moto Guzzi. Ref. 1The original owners died 1955 and 1964. At once the company went into financially problems and was bought by DeTomaso 1973.

Guzzi got new money and a 4 cyl. motor was designed. Today Moto Guzzi is owned by Piaggio but continues to be a free manufacturer.

The picture shows a scooter from 1952 with 160 cc. 

MotoGuzzi historia


ACE. Ref. 1

ACE

William Henderson was one of the brothers whose father was vice President in Winton Motor Car Company.

William got his education here and became interested in motorcycles. His father was not pleased with this because he found that it was no long term money in motorcycles.

Torsong motormuseum. Ref. 1
Despite this William got money from his father to start his company Henderson & Co. Here he designed his 4 cylinder engine and it was mounted into a mc frame.

The production was modest and when his design became known he realized that he needed more money to get the production resources.

Therefore he sold his motorcycle concept to Excelsior in Chicago. Here William became chief engineer. In the end of 1918 the brothers got tired on Excelsior and instead started their own firm ACE in Philadelphia.
Here he built a new four cylinder engine. This one was not allowed to have any part alike his old engine. 

It was good success and the future looked good. Unfortunately William died in a motorcycle accident when a car hit him test driving a new cycle 1922.

This was very ill-timed when a new cycle was on the way to be launched. Now it was shown how important William was for the firm and it was declining. 

At last there was nothing more to be done than to sell. Indian bought the ACE license 1926.

The motorcycle was now built under the name of Indian up to 1942. 

ACE en legend

ACE in Philadelphia

Orginal ACE drawings found


Museum entrance. Ref 1Here you can get cofee and a cookie. Ref 1
The guide of the museum and also one of the owners. Ref 1Guss Motor Jan Bellander visiting Erik Örtlund 2011. Ref 1

The MC Museum in Torsång is a popular stop for many cars and mc clubs. The pictures above show entrance and coffee serving.

Often these trips are done by older MC enthusiasts and usually quite many of them are out driving.

Most visitors are car clubs. One of their goals are this museum. Then there is only 500 m to the harbor of Torsång where they find a nice restaurant. If you don't want to spend this money there is a pizza place on the other side of river Dalälven.

The museum offer you coffee for only 10 Skr and entrance 25:-. This is gladly paid, a beautiful summer day.

Old pictures from Borlänge.
Ref. 1 Ref. 1
Ref. 1 Ref. 1
Ref. 1 Ref. 1
Ref. 1 Ref. 1

Other Car MC museums in this website

Museumlist
Adalen car museum
Arnolds_cars & odds ends
Arvika car mc museum
Assa car museum
AUDI Ingolstadt
Autoseum
Autostadt
Barnfind Halsingland
Barnfind Katrineholm
Brosarp Museistation
Bjorkenas mopedmuseum
Brooklands England
Bugatti
BiancoRosso
BMW
Beaulieu England
Bynander Bil MC
Car sport museum Karlskrona
Chaparral carmuseum
Duxford England
Dahlén musem
Eds Motorcycle museum
Enoch Thulin Landskrona
Falkoping MC Museum
Foundries and mines
Garage round in Halsingland
Grangesberg Nostalgi
Grafors Collection
Grangesberg Locos
Hannover air museum
Hassleholm mil. vehicles
Holmgren VW collection
Haynes England
Hjorted Mopedmuseum
Harnosand carmuseum
Huskvarna museum
Ivar Car museum Hoting
Koping car museum
Krylbo-Norbergs rail
Ladenburg
My Vehicles
Malmkoping mil. vehicle museum
Malmo Technical
Mercedes Benz
MC-Collection Sweden
MC museum Hedemora
Motala museum
MotorTechnica
Munktell museum
Outbordmuseum Varb.
Porsche
Rydaholms Car Museum
Robot Museum Swe.
Regnsjo, SAF cars
Panzermuseum Swe
ScaniaVabis museum
Sinsheim museum
Skokloster car museum
SSK Boxcar
SSK-series
Storvik Odds and Ends
Svedino car & airplane
Soderhamn Air Force
Sparreholm
Sagen Technical museum
Surahammar MC
Swedish Air force m
Swedish submarines
Torsong MC museum
Torsby Car MC museum
Technical museum Helsinb.
Technical museum Stockholm
Ullared carmuseum
Volkswagen
Volvo Industrial museum
Ziegenhagen

Other sites
Military service
Travels
My Heritage

Trainmuseum Sweden
Vasteras Flygmuseum
Hagfors Industrimuseum
Maritim Gothenburg
Karlskrona Marina

Pictures from the following owners have been used in bjorns-story.se with the necessary allowance:
Referens 1: © Björn Bellander   bjorn.bellander(at)telia.com
 
Best in Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
Best in resolution min 1024x768. No. of colors 256.
Videos are tested in Windows Media Player and Nero Player.

© Copyright Björn Bellander 2006-